29TH FUSELIER BATTALION
1945 - 1946
The 29th Fuselier Battalion was raised at Hasselt, Belgium, on March 7 1945.
The battalion is administratively attached to the 16th Fuselier Brigade.
On May 10 1945 the battalion is put at the disposal of the 21st Army Group, and goes to Zedelgem, Belgium.
Some companies are assigned to the 2226 and 2227 POW Camp.
Some other companies are guarding vital lines of communication.
The 29th Fuselier Battalion moves to the military camp of Beverlo, Belgium, on August 1 1945.
There, the battalion continues its training and is re-equipped.
|Leopoldsburg, August 1945. Fuseliers on "patato corvée"|
training period two companies of the battalion are assigned
to the internmentcamp of Beverlo for guarding duty.
On November 15 1945 the 29th Fuselier Battalion arrives in Lüneburg, Germany.
|Lüneburg, Germany, von
The 29th Fuselier Battalion parades before the Staff of the 13th Fuselier Brigade.
During their stay in Germany
the main mission was guarding vital installations in
Lüneburg, Allenbostel, Artlenburg, Bleckede, Munster, Uelzen and Westerweyhe.
The battalion returns to Belgium on May 5 1946.
On June 8 1946 the 29th Fuselier Battalion is disbanded at Lier.
At first the Formation Badge of the Lines of Communication Troops of the 21st Army Group was worn.
A blue cross on a scarlet shield.
Badge of the Lines of Communication Troops of the 21st
At the end of September 1945
the Formation Badge of the 16th Fuselier Brigade "HAELEN" is worn.
A yellow heraldic lion
ramping to the left, in front of a black capital "H",with a black "16" beneath.
The whole on a scarlet shield.
Formation Badge of the
16th Fuselier Brigade "HAELEN"
A project for a own formation badge also existed but was never authorised.
A black mace called "goedendag" in front of a red "V". The whole on a white shield.
Project of a Formation Badge for the 29th Fuselier Battalion.
On both shoulder straps at first the crossed rifles with a "29" beneath were worn.
Metal insignia and white tread insignia were both worn.
By the end of 1945 the "16" was introduced together with the Infantry Crown, white tread.
It replaced the "29" and the crossed rifles.