OF THE ECONOMIC WARFARE ARMY
When the Belgian Government
returned to Belgium, in September 1944, they started almost imediately
with the implementation of the the international agreements signed during the "London" period.
Several Infantry brigades
were raised and trained, more the 50 Fuselier battalions were put
at the disposal of the Allies, Air Force and Navy received new volunteers,
a large variety of military units saw birth.
In short, the Belgian Government fulfilled largely its part of the agreements.
But warfare not only required military units, but also a maximum support from the economic system.
The Belgian industry had to be rebuild, with the coal industry on top of the list.
|Belgian Coal Mine 1945.|
Coal-mines badly needed to be rebuild, which meant that the supply of wood had to be hugely increased.
Thus Forestry units were raised.
Coal-mines also needed coal-miners.
In May 1945 the Allied High Command handed over 150.000 P.O.W.'s to the Belgian Government.
The security task was given to the newly created Watch battalions.
Once the coal was extracted, it had to be distributed to the recipients, industrial plants and civilian population.
A control service for the distribution of the coal, SEDICHAR, was therefore created.
When the German Army leaved
Belgium in September 1944, millions of mines were still there,
especially at the Belgian coast, and in the Ardennes, near the German border.
The task of dismantling the mines was given to the newly raised bomb disposal units.
Forestry units, Watch
battalions, SEDICHAR, Bomb Disposal units,
they all made up the Belgian Economic Warfare Army.
ECONOMIC WARFARE ARMY